I found an online tutorial on how to use a program called “GIMP” to make words look like Lego font. And since then I have learned what an “open-source” program is…which is: “not user friendly!” The tutorial, although detailed, was outdated. Fortunately, Peter had the patience to figure it out and, over the course of 3 weeks (yes, it is that difficult), created the names of all the kid party attendees in Lego font. Lego font = squishing the letters until they touch and creating a yellow bubble outline around the outside of the touching letters on a red background. We have FedEx package labels (no idea how we got those), so I made a word doc, printed the names onto the big sticker label, cut the names out, and voila.
I sized one set of sticker names to fit the tops of the heads for pin-the-head, so you could tell whose head was whose at the end.
A set of lego name tags went on the goody bags, just in case any bags were left behind.
Another set of name stickers were for kids to personalize party hats–let’s be realistic, kids do not keep those hats on, if they wear them at all, and I didn’t want them to get left behind! For the party hats, I printed onto colored card stock this picture of lego dots from deliacreates.com: https://twintease.files.wordpress.com/2015/06/703da-bumps17x11.jpg
I originally used this party hat template (http://ohhappyday.com/2011/02/party-hats-diy-template/) but felt the hats turned out too small. So I eyeballed it, drew a new template as large as one sheet of card stock would allow, and cut one out for each kid party attendee. I know this looks like a lot of cutting, but I had a few hours as chairperson of the county recitals to sit without much to do except chat with other piano teachers, so I brought lego pin-the-heads and party hats to cut out. It was a good conversation starter. I punched small holes and attached ribbon, since I never liked the elastic bands as a kid, although now I’m second-guessing how the bow looks under the chin. Here’s the difference:
I saved the two small ones for the 6-12 month olds at the party. After cutting out the party hats, I had leftover scraps of bump paper from which I cut out 2×3 and 2×2 lego rectangles to glue to the party tables down the center:
Can’t resist putting in a picture of how the guys moved the art table over the railing instead of using the stairs. (The long party table is two tables put together: our “art” table which used to be a coffee table, and T&T’s train table)
I took some of the leftover scraps and used double sided tape to attach them to a cardboard frame (I have a box of these frames…and I’m realizing that I keep a lot of random stuff that somehow isn’t in the way and comes in handy). The ribbon to hang it with is taped onto the back with packing tape. The frame now has a family pic from the party 🙂
Other signs with Lego font. For larger signs (“Thanks for coming”) that I could not bring myself to print a red background for, I just used the “LEGothic” font in Word.